Leadership Coach & Facilitator
“My entire career has been focused on doing good in the world, through reporting the news, public service or advocacy work. Through coaching, I strive to help my clients do good in the world, as well.”
Alan Heymann is an expert at leading complex teams in highly visible organizations. With degrees in journalism and law, he has spent his career at the intersection of communications and public policy. Throughout his leadership roles, he frequently found that people sought out his mentorship and coaching when struggling with effective communication and considering the impact of change on their teams. Then, inspired by a career transformation brought about with the support of an executive coach, Alan decided to formally become a coach himself.
As a coach, Alan works with executives in government, nonprofits, communications, higher education, and the legal field. He specializes in leadership presence and presentation skills, strategic thinking, delegation and time management. His clients find it immensely helpful that Alan understands these challenges because of his own professional experience, and they appreciate that he understands the nuances of their sectors. His calm, reassuring manner and warm presence, along with decades of active listening practice, help leaders create space for the growth they need to be most effective.
Alan is passionate about working with leaders who want to tap into their creativity through words and images to inspire positive change in society. He is an expert at coaching through transitions — such as the transition from individual contributor to leader, the transition into a larger and more complex role, or the transition into a different career.
- Founded Blue Drop, DC Water’s spinoff non-profit
- Former Vice President of Communications for the Humane Society of the United States
- Served as Chief of External Affairs at DC Water where he expanded the Authority’s government relations efforts
- Held various roles in the Government of D.C., including agency public information officer and legislative staffer
- Earlier in his career, Alan was a television reporter, producer and anchor in his native Illinois
- Admitted to the Bar in Illinois and D.C.
Education, Training, and Certifications
- Executive Certificate in Leadership Coaching (Georgetown University)
- International Coach Federation Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
- J.D. (The George Washington University)
- B.S. in Journalism (Northwestern University)
- Assessment certifications: The Leadership Circle Profile, Hogan Assessments, Designing Your Life
- An avid runner, Alan recently completed his 35th half-marathon
- Alan has followed a plant-based diet for more than two decades
- Lives with his family outside of Washington D.C.
Learn more about Nebo’s services.