“When you sign on to work with a coach, you have to be ready because there’s no magic in this process. But when you are ready and willing to become more aware, powerful and exciting things happen.”
Michael Sands became a leadership coach after a difficult stage in his own career. He hired a coach and the outcomes were so successful, he decided to become a coach and do the same for others. The experience continues to motivate his coaching today as he coaches leaders from both public and private sector. Trained as a coach at Georgetown University’s Leadership Coaching program, Michael brings a depth of experience to his work.
Michael’s experience in the public sector includes over 20 years in defense intelligence as both an active duty and reserve US Army Officer, which included significant project management responsibilities. As an Army officer, Michael led numerous projects, from the creation of new organizations, to complex IT programs. Michael then went on to teach project management at Georgetown.
Michael’s clients find him to be a coach who listens deeply and can see the big picture and the details at the same time. He enjoys helping leaders expand their awareness and see new options and notes that often, there are multiple walls and barriers that benefit from exploration. He enjoys working with people at all stages of leadership who come into the work with an open mind, enthusiastic and ready to work and with the humility to be a beginner again, no matter how much experience and expertise they have.
- 7 years of experience in the field of coaching
- International Coach Federation Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
- Learning Circle Advisor for the Institute for Transformational Leadership at Georgetown University’s Leadership Coaching Certificate program
- Adjunct professor at Georgetown University and George Mason University
- Distinguished career in the Army and served in variety of leadership positions
- Has coached in the military and the greater defense industry as well as entrepreneurs and business leaders in the manufacturing and pharmaceutical industries
- Executive Certificate in Leadership Coaching (Georgetown University)
- Master in Organizational Management (University of Phoenix)
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Indiana University of Pennsylvania)
- Loves to be on the beach