“I’ve always loved the phrase ‘finding the heart of what matters’ and as a coach, the exploration into one’s inner wisdom, discovering what matters to her/him/them, is not only inspiring, it’s also the fuel for authentic, resilient leadership. I consider my coaching partnerships to be deeply sacred spaces where insights, learning, and growth are fostered.”
Nancy has spent decades in strategic communications with companies, non-profits, government agencies, associations, and foundations. She has managed the communications direction and implementation of highly complex and high-performing organizations during mergers and acquisitions, giving her an inside view of resilience and culture in action.
Nancy has managed the communications direction and implementation of highly complex and high-performing organizations during mergers and acquisitions, giving her an inside view of resilience and culture in action. After decades of working inside healthcare systems as head of strategic communications and outside organizations as a communications consultant and facilitator, leadership coaching is the heart of what matters for Nancy now. Listening, exploring, and partnering with compassion and integrity to help her clients see themselves and their work in new ways is the essence of her coaching approach. All along the way, Nancy supports her clients with tools, powerful questions, accountability practices, a calm presence, and experiential learning so they accomplish their leadership goals; and it’s not all somber – they find the fun in the process!
Her work with the multifaceted issues of end-of-life care, women’s health, the nursing shortage, bioethics, clinician burnout and transition management, has formed her lasting belief that enduring solutions are only made possible by first finding the heart of what matters. Her recent work includes serving as co-designer and communications consultant to the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing based program for nurses who are learning to transform moral distress into moral resilience – often referred to as clinician burnout.
Nancy’s resilient leadership work – specifically with nurses who have experienced unprecedented burnout — is particularly important to her. She is passionate about our collective responsibility to support the healthcare providers who are there for us in our most vulnerable moments.
- Three years of coaching experience, 20 years of facilitation
- Decades of experience in the healthcare industry
- nursing homes, hospitals, and hospital systems
- nursing shortage, end-of-life care, and reproductive health
- addressing burnout in nurses
- Director of Marketing, Wisconsin Avenue Nursing Home
- Director of Marketing, Capitol Hill Hospital, part of the Medlantic Healthcare Group (now Medstar)
- Director of Communications, Inova Health System
- Staff to US Senator Dan Quayle
Education, Training and Certifications
- Executive Certificate in Leadership Coaching (Georgetown University)
- BS, Health, The Pennsylvania State University
- International Coach Federation Associate Certified Coach (ACC)
- Assessment Certifications: DISC
- Nancy enjoys the outdoors, sports, staying healthy through travel, exercise, good food, meaningful relationships, meditation practice, and time with her family.
- She lives in Northern Virginia with her husband and Scottish Terrier, Zoey, who rules the roost. They are lucky to have their two adult daughters living close by.
Learn more about Nebo’s services.