“Show me, me… Many of us don’t like looking in the mirror and taking a close look at one’s self and stepping into the self-reflection that will occur. But in doing so, we are going to learn. We are going to develop, both professionally and personally. Don’t be afraid to get a little uncomfortable and step into that space. That is what coaching is all about.”
Carolyn is an internationally recognized trainer, career strategist, leadership, and executive coach. She has extensive experience working in diversity and inclusion with deep compassion for individuals with disabilities and reasonable accommodations. She is one of the select few, certified Rapid Employment Master Coaches, specially trained in assisting with career planning and demystifying the hiring and promotion process for leaders looking to accelerate their professional growth.
Carolyn served in the United States Navy for over 24 years and retired as a Navy Commander in 2012. During her military career, she served as Director of Human Capital Management, a position that brought over 4,800 civilians, military, and contract personnel under her responsibility umbrella. Her favorite assignment was serving as a Professor in the Department of Command Leadership and Management at the United States Army War College. Upon retirement from military service, Carolyn decided to turn the roles she loved most during her military career, coach and mentor, into a second full-time professional career. She has become a leading authority on leadership and professional development, and has worked with top leaders across the globe at the intersection of life and professional career choices. She supports clients with evaluating and adapting professional and personal life perspectives and challenging vertical and horizontal career transitions.
Carolyn excels at discovering unrealized potential and new possibilities together with her clients. Her warm and caring personality, expansive capacity to partner with people, who are working through strong emotions, and her joyful nature bring lightness to sometimes challenging coaching engagements. With each client, she strikes just the right balance between gentle compassion and firm accountability as well as goal setting, action planning and intuitive exploration. At the end of her coaching engagements, she often hears a version of: “Carolyn, I never thought I was able to get to where I am today. This feels like a dream come true that I didn’t even know I had.”
- Internationally recognized, trainer, career strategist and leadership coach, supporting mid-size and large organizations to protect their most important asset, their people
- Experience with developing and facilitating multicultural dialogue learning (MCDL) cohort and emotional intelligence programs
- Senior military human capital advisor to the Navy-wide Cyber Manpower Zero Based Review Task Force to plan and execute a review of the Navy’s cyber workforce to include military, civilian, and contractor personnel
- Advisor to senior leadership in all areas of Human Capital Management, responsible for 25 team members and a budget of over 2.3 million dollars for Talent Acquisition, Professional Development, Military Personnel, Human Capital Management Analysts and HR Policy
- Educated senior military, civilian, and international leaders for strategic leadership roles at the US Army War College, her students working toward a Master of Science Degree.
Education, Training and Certifications
- Master of Arts, Human Resource Development and Management, Webster University
- Bachelor of Arts, Temple University
- Graduate of the Naval War College, Non-Resident College Program
- International Coaching Federation Professional Certified Coach (PCC)
- Culturally Intelligent Coach (CQ)
- Certified Mentor Coach (CMC)
- Professional Career Coach (CPCC), Federal Career Coach (CFCC) and Federal Job Search Trainer (CFJST)
- Certified Rapid Employment Master Coach
- Certified Executive/Life Coach (CPC)
- Senior Professional In Human Resources (SPHR) and Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP)
- Certified in the Veterans at Work Program
- EQ-i 2.0, Center for Creative Leadership 360 Benchmarks Assessment Suite, Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), Energy Leadership Indicator – Master Practitioner (ELI-MP)
- Carolyn loves to read and is a three-time, Amazon best-selling author.
- Fitness is important to her, and she tries not to miss a workout. She earned a black belt in martial arts later in life and is working towards earning her third degree, San Dan.
Learn more about Nebo’s services.